What to Look for in a Soul Friend
- Someone who walks with God in humility of heart.Someone who recognizes their weaknesses, learns from their mistakes and apologizes when their sin hurts others.They are someone who looks to God’s Word for guidance, encouragement and challenge.And they, too, have Soul Friendships that love, nurture and prod them to further maturity in their own lives.
- Someone who is a good listener!And what I mean by a good listener is...
*Someone who truly hears what you are saying because they are not busy formulating a response or interrupting you constantly to share what they think or change the subject to themselves or their experiences.A good listener is a patient listener.
*A good listener also listens for what isn’t being said.They are listening and watching for what lies deeper, depending on the Holy Spirit’s nudging’s to guide them.In other words, a good listener is prayerful listener.
- Someone who is wise, to help you discern what God is doing in your life, suggest appropriate spiritual practices that can enhance or challenge your faith-walk, and who will encourage you as you practice them, holding you accountable as you seek to live them out.
- Someone who is a Truth-teller.Not because they take pleasure in it, but, because they love you and care deeply about your spiritual well-being.Like the prophet Nathan was to David in 2nd Samuel 12:1-13, they are prayerful in their approach...both for themselves and for their Soul Friend.Their goal is to help you remain honest and open with God.
- Someone who reminds you of Gods unconditional love for you, when you’ve forgotten, or when you have failed and need His forgiveness.They are a safe place where you can meet with God in truth and in freedom; because you know that what you share with your Soul Friend is a sacred trust.You are a cord of three strands!
A Soul Friend is someone with whom you can ask safe questions, share your spiritual journey, discuss issues or sin areas you are wrestling with, who will listen without judgment or knee-jerk reactions, who will ask soul-searching questions and wait for your response, who will encourage you, challenge you and make suggestions to you, speak truth to you, and pray with and for you.