A Christmas Quiet Time Devotional
Considering all the time we will be spending with friends and family during the holiday season,
we believe it would be beneficial to spend some quiet time with Jesus preparing our hearts for the holidays.
Sitting quietly meditating on this passage of Scripture will surely set our hearts aright.
- Spend a few minutes in silence to settle your spirit.
- Ask God to meet you here in the quietness of this moment and to speak His heart to you as you sit with Him.
- Have a journal and pen/pencil ready to jot down any thoughts that come to you during this experience.
- Read the passage below over once.
- Read it again. This time slow down and listen for God’s Spirit tugging at your heart. Are there any phrases that seem to jump off the page? Jot those down.
- Go back and read the passage one more time. This time pay attention to any words that seem to stand out to you. Take some time to sit with those words and phrases. Pull out your journal and write down anything that is moving in your spirit.
- Take some time now to dialogue with the Savior about these things. You may want to write out what you feel God is speaking into you by inserting your name, just to make it personal.
- Close your journal and your eyes and take some time to sit quietly enjoying God’s presence.
- As you go, know that we will be praying that God’s Spirit fill you to overflowing and shine through you as you live His heart this holiday season.
12-14 So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.
15-17 Let the peace of Christ keep you in tune with each other, in step with each other. None of this going off and doing your own thing. And cultivate thankfulness. Let the Word of Christ—the Message—have the run of the house. Give it plenty of room in your lives. Instruct and direct one another using good common sense. And sing, sing your hearts out to God! Let every detail in your lives—words, actions, whatever—be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way.
Colossians 3:12-17 The Message